Complete this program
in just 60 weeks!
Secure a job after the program and earn approximately $29.50 an hour.
Oxford College’s Primary Care Paramedic program equips you with the necessary skills and knowledge to work in this dynamic profession. As one of the few private postsecondary institutions in Canada that offers this program, Oxford College brings you unparalleled specialized training.
As a primary care paramedic worker, you will administer pre-hospital emergency medical care to patients with injuries or medical illnesses and transport them to hospitals or other medical facilities for further medical care. Through hands-on learning, students will develop critical-thinking and decision-making skills to effectively deal with medical emergencies. Students will also be trained to communicate with patients, family members, and other healthcare professionals in a professional and compassionate manner.
learn how to:
- Assess extent of injuries or medical illnesses of trauma victims, patients with respiratory disease and stress, overdose and poisoning victims, industrial accident victims, and other ill or injured individuals to determine emergency medical treatment
- Administer pre-hospital emergency care to patients such as oxygen therapy, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), spinal immobilization, bandaging, and splinting
- Establish and maintain intravenous treatment (IV), apply adjunctive equipment for ventilation and circulation complications, administer medications, and provide other advanced emergency treatment to patients
- Transport patients by air, land, or water to hospital or other medical facility for further medical care
- Collaborate with ambulance dispatch centres, hospital staff, police, firefighters, and family members to ensure relevant information is collected and proper treatment is administered
- Document and record nature of injuries and illnesses and treatment provided
- Assist hospital personnel with provision of medical treatment, if necessary
- Maintain ambulances and emergency care equipment and supplies
- Train and supervise other workers in this unit group
- Assist with triage of emergency patients
Is Career Training Right for You? Find Out!
The fun, online quiz takes 3 minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for. Get Your Career Training Readiness score now >>
Graduates are employed by private ambulance services, hospitals, fire departments, government departments and agencies, manufacturing firms, mining companies, and other private sector establishments. Paramedics who are supervisors are included in this unit group.
Upon completion of the program, graduates may find employment as:
- Primary care paramedic
- Critical care paramedic
- Emergency medical technician